Tuesday, October 23, 2012

YCS analysis

my first observation, in case you already read the coverage, is that everybody was playing at least one copy of enemy controller. So, I don't know if my posts have any relevance on the actual meta or I'm just predicting some cards. Who knows....

Also I want to talk about Joseph Maddalena's deck. Probably a random piece of shit with a bounch of broken cards, or a miracles creation from one of the best deck builders in the game. While I was reading his feature matchs I first thought: "This guy is really random". Not because he played something weird and different. It was because whenever he could attack, he did it wasting all his resources even if he wasn't able to deal 8000 damage. For him there was no tomorrow, I even feel sad to see him going too far. In  my perspective of the game this deck and this play style shouldn't efficiently work. However my perspective of the game doesn't really represent the actual game, and Maddalena's deck does.

Maddalena's decks proves a lot of things:

1.- In a format where everybody is playing tons of back row destruction and paying life points, MonsterSmash strategy is a good choice.

2.- Monster Smash was built it about a lot of differente concepts, but Gallis the Start Beast and Ally of genex birdman were always a great combo, even if you didn't tried to pull off the koaki'meru final combo.

3.- In a monster Smash you must use big monsters capable of come back to the field, this is why probably the must successful MonsterSmash deck that I ever saw was Agents-Smash.

This time, Maddalena showed us how recurrent machina fortress and the whole machine archetype can be. He also tried to use the best dark (birdman, neutron) machine and light (Cyber dragon, cyber eltalin) machine just to take advantage of the chaos monsters and BLS hability to OTK.

Right now I don't think he or his deck is random. I think he overview the game, and took advantage of it in the best way possible according to his playstyle.

Next post will be Metagame analysis, but not like Perovic. He already gave of us his perspective of the game in the USA, but I will actually talk about the game (AKA, the cards on it).


2 comments:

  1. Very nice post. I like how you pick Joseph Maddalena's deck instead of talking about the usually "meta" deck. Monster Smash is my favorite deck to play. I do my deck with "All Monster" that way I don't miss the Gallis's effect. But I think Joseph's deck is really creative and congratulation him for topping 32. I read Perovic's article and it was a good real. I can't wait to see what you have to say from your perspective other than just putting other yugioh players down. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete