Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tour guide or not Tour guide?

(This video has subtitles in spanish)

This is a thirty minutes video that totally worth your time. But before you see it I want to talk about how Tour guide has become the most controversial card lately.

At first I thought that a instant search for sangan was not big deal, instead a instant rank 3 xyz could be deadly in the future. Things become worse when the xyz ruling establish that the materials remain on the field, so sangan and tengu could use their effects. Suddenly a lot of strategies could not stand against tour guide. The free efect veiler and the 2500 atk beastick were too much, and the only thing capable of defeat it was royal tribute and set spy (even tour guide could be useless against a previous tour guide).

Then the xyz ruling changed, and Tour guide was still broken but not that much. However, sangan isn't the only target. There a other strategies that benefit for this search, one of them is Dark world. With Tour guide, the deck can put a lv3 dark world in the grave and summon leviathan, even better they can bring leviair and special summon one the DW in the RFG. The advantage is so big, that is hard to think in a better build without tour guide. Another deck in the same situation is Fabled, where Tour guide can search for kushano and send it to grave to start all the crazy combos that a fabled deck is capable of.

I saw a dark future about this, it will become worst each time a rank 3 xyz appear in the game or another lv3 fiend show off. I remember the first time I saw tour guide bring kushano I thought: "That is best way to play the deck, is so broken, that any other fabled strategy is useless".

When I saw this video I realize that my creativity have been blocked for the only existence of Tour guide. But there are plenty of option, all as good as tour guide deck. And if you check the decklist from Toronto you will see people wining with and without tour guide.

So, now I'm back to the square one. I believe Tour guide is broken, but searching for sangan is not big deal. You can play tour guide or not, and still you can make an awesome deck.

1 comment: