Friday, November 18, 2011

Frog-Monarch Designator: Final conclusion

I hope you, at least, had seen one of the videos I made before read this.

The wining condition of the deck is based on a simple concept. If you control your opponent resources, you can control the duel. However this concept isn't always true. This strategy is strong as long as the game is based on 2 or 3 cards combos. Not combo decks are usually antimeta, which usually play slowly enough to win with monarchs. But we have to take one more thing in consideration: 1 card combo.

The one card combo is based on a single card capable of change the duel on his own. Examples of that is Monster Reborn, JD, BLS, among others. Mostly, all of them need some previous preparation before be useful. If you see my duel against Tourguide plants, you can see that my opponent had BLS on his hand but I never led him summon it. However there are few exceptions, those cards are Tengu, Tourguide, Dark hole, among others. These cards can be drawing and instantly played, even more you can draw Tourguide and instantly kill a monarch. That is the reason of some of my losses. So, the wining probability of this deck is negatively correlated to the number of good cards that can work to well on their own.

About the decklist, I have been testing a lot of different things to put inside.

Back to the square one: This is another pwwb but you always have to target monster. It is a great card that led me see the opponent hand with mind crush on the next turn. But sometimes the number of discard cost was to high. I changed it for Enemy controller, which gave me too many victories on his own.

Effect veiler: I already have too many control cards with even higher costs and better benefits. I couldn't loss more space on cards that don't give field advantage.

Duality: Yes, I have to play three copies. I need to active it on my first turn, to pull aoi-frog combo, and if i don't need it, I can discard it with pwwb. This card is totally necessary to make the deck consistence.

Mother grizzly: At some point, I used mother Grizzly to increase the chance to get my frogs on the field, however the probability to draw a frog is too high, and drawing a mother grizzly on late game is really awfull.

Tragoedia: Aoi-Frog combo is really expensive, and it totally worth it. However it doesn't match with tragoedia, since my hand is reduced. Also even when I summon it under the best condition, it wasn't so useful. Also I couldn't use pwwb, mind crush, etc because it could reduce my hand. I changed both of them for mst and Heavy storm.

The best thing I tested was the Frog engine. I'm talking about Des frog, the only "monarch" that can be search it from the deck or grave due to Dupe frog. Also you can really use the second effect of swap frog to summon twice. Or use two des frog to summon Tiras or Andreus, or clean the field with Des croacking. The results where great, but the number of potential dead draws were too high.

Finally I think the deck is good, could be better if the game wasn't so fast. But it will be definitely something that I will test again on march.

1 comment: